We LOVE Skipping
Rope skipping is arguably Australia’s oldest recreational activity and Australia’s newest sport. Rope skipping has historically been a popular pastime for children, but in 2018 the amazing sport of skipping was admitted to be a member of the Olympic family (achieving GAISF Observer status) and Skipping Australia was recognised by SportAus as a national sporting organisation.
Skipping NT is committed to 'shaking off' our sport's school-yard activity image. We are focused on sharing the multi-dimensional nature of competitive rope skipping and growing participation, throughout the Territory.
Why skipping is great!
Skipping is a fantastic, inclusive and low-cost sport. It builds strength, endurance and co-ordination. It also provides participants with the opportunity to be creative and confident.
Skippers train for speed and endurance events. They also create and perform routines choreographed to music.
Skipping NT members regularly shares their skills at performances and workshops at community events (eg Seabreeze Festival).
More serious skippers train up to compete in skipping championships, including the Australian Rope Skipping Championships.
- There are two main elements to competitions - speed/endurance and freestyle.
- Judges assess the following:
- * skill level
* team work
* use of music / choreography
Upcoming competitions include:
* Australian Skipping Championships - Logan, Qld - 6-8 June 2020
* International Jump Rope Union, World Championships - Canada - 5-14 July 2020
* Australian Skipping Championships - Darwin - September 2021